leaving soldier pile lagging

I am working on a residence with about 16' of PT wood lagging between earth
shoring soldier piles. The lagging is 2'-6" behind our permanent retaining
wall and building footprint. The building inspector has suggested that we
should remove the wood lagging before back filling because of the potential
pest infestation. Any thoughts about this? I can see removing the top 3 feet
or so.

Jeff