RE: Freezer Building - Thermal Breaks

Title: RE: Freezer Building - Thermal Breaks

We design freezers and cooler facilities across the US and have always used wood blocks for the thermal breaks below columns. The wood blocks we use are oriented with the load parallel to the grain and are pressure treated and banded (southern pine with compressive strength parallel to the grain of at least 1200 psi - I have also used oak). I have never heard of the 1000 psi rigid insulation material that was mentioned and would be very interested in learning more about this material. Are there any concerns with long term creep? Who makes this material?

Jonathan Meyer, P.E.
Director Structural Engineering
Webber/Smith Associates, Inc
1857 William Penn Way Suite 200
Lancaster, Pa. 17601
Phone: (717)-291-2024  Ext. 239
Fax:     (717)-291-4401
Email: jmeyer(--nospam--at)webbersmith.com