Open Letter to Charlie Carter/AISC

Charlie:

I just took delivery of my brand-spanking-new Third Edition AISC Manual of
Steel Construction, and all I can say is "I take my hat off to you folks."
What an elegant bit of "literary engineering" this is. All that info in one
compact (though by no means unmassive) tome! All the "connections manual"
stuff for both "standard" shapes and HSS, complete thumb-cuts, chock full of
the latest and greatest stuff. And the thing is only about an eighth-inch
greater in thickness than my old Ninth Edition ASD.

And the Steel Shapes Database CD is probably going to be worth what I paid
for the manual in time savings alone.

Thanks for a splendid job, and be assured I'll send more money in three
years or so.

Regards.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company