Requiring soils reports

I'm interested in knowing how many of you require that soils reports be
provided prior to the start of a building design, and how many assume soil
properties to do foundation design with the caveat that a soils
investigation be done prior to the start of construction, and any changes
required to the structural plans due to the differences between assumed and
actual soil conditions are an additional service.  Thanks in advance for
your response.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering
Philadelphia PA