Re: Requiring soils reports

I usually state in my proposal that either a geotechnical report is required
before I can begin the design of the structure or I can begin the design
assuming an allowable net bearing pressure of 3000 psf (relatively
conservative) and that if the geotechnical report comes back with variations
there will be an increase in my design fee.
Many times the owner/developer/architect are so much in a hurry to get the
design started, they opt for the second alternate.

Domenic DeAngelo P.E.