From: Syed A Masroor [mailto:sam2000(--nospam--at)cyber.net.pk]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 1:08 AM
To: list
Subject: Comfortable natural frequency

Dear gurus
Its good to be back on the list.

I am designing a large span waffle-slab type floor which will be used as
a super market.  The architect wants to keep the waffle thickness low
(deflection is not a problem).  However there is concern that the
natural period of the floor may be too large for shoppers' comfort.

Is there a guide-line on calculating the natural period of floors (I am
doing it from first principle and it comes to T=0.5 seconds) and a guide
line on what range of first mode is acceptable?

Syed A Masroor
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan.