Soil Compaction

Is the plasticity index of soil an important parameter
in developing a specification for backfill? If so, how
does it affect compaction characteristics?

I have come across several ranges of PI prescribed for
the soil to be used in backfill. Personally, I have
limited the PI to 15. Recently, a clien't specs called
for a PI between 12 and 30. Government specs available
on the internet do not appear to address this issue at
all.

Thanks for the input.

Rajendran