Re: Requiring soils reports

We always strongly recommend the soils report for anything but very small
projects, but usually begin design before the investigation is completed.
Usually we assume 3000 psf, but we are in a limestone area and sinkholes are
a serious concern.  In addidtion, we do a lot of industrial work and a lot
of times we are building in the only areas of the site that are left - which
were often  waste sites and are now fill areas.  It seems that we are ending
up doing a lot of fill removal and bringing the excavation back up to the
bottom of footing elevation with "flowable fill".  I have often thought that
we could just design the footings for 1000 psf in such areas and save that
over-excavation and flowable fill work - but the geotech's in this area
don't seem to want to let any footings on any fill - no matter how light the
pressure is.  It is always good to know how much fill you expect to take out
before the job begins, so in this regard, the soils investigation is quite
valuable.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates