From: Caswell, Philip J [mailto:pcaswell(--nospam--at)bonestroo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 2:56 PM
To: 'SEAINT(--nospam--at)SEAINT.ORG'
Subject: Retrofit Diaphragm Blocking

Ok, say you have a plywood diaphragm that was shown and specified to be
blocked (Vmax > 420 plf), but the building is now built, with the roof
shingles installed and gyp board covering the wood truss roof bottom chords
- but no blocking.  The unblocked allowable shear is only 285 plf.

Has anyone had experience retrofitting blocking to a plywood roof from the
underside?  Can an adhesive be used for this?  Intuitively, if the adhesive
can achieve failure of the wood fiber, it should work.  Is there anything
published that can be referred to?

TIA,
Philip J. Caswell, P.E.
St. Paul, MN