Re: PSL Beam Creep

Parallam(R) Parallel Strand Lumber (PSL), like any wood member, is effected by moisture.  Raising the moisture content will decrease the strength and stiffness.  When wood members are dried back to a normal equilibrium moisture content they will perform normally.  While wet, problems can arise related to stiffness.   High moisture content and large changes in moisture content have an extreme effect on creep.  I would suggest that the member be shored as it dries to reduce the effects of creep.

As with any wood member with a higher than normal moisture content, it should be allowed to dry before applying the interior finish.  Moisture tramped in cavities with no ventilation can create an environment suitable for biodegradation.

As was suggested in previous responses, more detailed information about the effects of moisture on wood can be found at Trus Joist's website, www.trusjoist.com.  Select "Products," then "Technical Design Information - A to Z," then "Moisture Effects."   Also feel free to call me or your local Trus Joist regional engineer or technical representative for more information.

Renee Strand
W. Division Engineer
Trus Joist, A Weyerhaeuser Business
1-800-644-4856