RE: Engineering Education & Professional Practice

I stand corrected - I should have remembered that Pomona had a Civil
Engineering department as I repaired their engineering building which
was damaged after the 1987 Whittier Narrows Earthquake. I used an Epoxy
Injection system from Japan which is..... Another story.

Stan, and everyone who wishes to correct me - I yield on this, but,
other than for other's edification, the error is not germane to the
argument. The issue is whether or not we, as professionals, should
dictate the content of classes (possibly attempting to cram in more
practical applications) rather than leave the curriculum to the
experience of the educators. Cal-Poly, regardless of program or campus
is primarily focused on practical application (which I've praised
repeatedly). It doesn't matter if it is a Civil or ARCE program as each
is prepared to graduate students who may seek employment in structural
engineering firms. From my experiences, graduates from Cal Poly are far
better qualified to practice upon graduation than UCLA students.

See the argument in the response to Neil Moore's post this evening for
additional remarks. I am not in favor of arbitrarily changing the
programs to suit the needs of employers when the responsibility of the
school is to provide the student with the basic principles and skills
needed to complete the curriculum and, as was historically the case,
hone those skills into practical application. If the economic climate
has changed and businesses no longer want to be burdened with the
responsibility to Shepard an apprentice along, then we should create
additional post-graduate course taught by practicing professionals who
are to train graduates how to apply their skills by assigning real
problems over the course of an additional two years.

What is the purpose of requiring two years of apprenticeship on top of
four or five years of education if there is no one to hire the
apprentice and teach him the work. You can not pick this up in a few
extra courses and certainly not until you completed the final courses in
Steel, Concrete, Masonry and Wood. So you might as well replace the
apprenticeship years with additional two years of post-graduate work -
possibly a thesis which consists of a real problem that the student (or
graduate) is required to solve that will ultimately test his skills.

Sheesh!!! I've had enough, after this no matter what the criticism - you
are right, I am wrong and I apologize for offending anyone's Alma-mater!
Again, I apologize for not knowing the curriculum's available at each of
the Cal-Poly's - I Stan[d] corrected (pun intended). Maybe I should have
taken the conventional route! :>)

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer

Website: