RE: shoring lagging remove or remain?

I have never seen wood lagging removed. For commercial buildings they
usually put waterproofing and drainage panels right up against it and
shotcrete. Even if I left the top board in, it would never be any closer
that 3' from the building's wood sill plate. Granted, termites can pole
vault (that was for you Scott ;^) As Stan points out, this is definitely not
structural wood once the permanent concrete retaining wall is in place and
back filled, rather it is abandoned. There should be a definitive answer for
this, it is done all the time, but not as often for a residence.

Thanks,

Jeff Smith

|~|
|~|
|~|I would remove the top 3-5 ft. only. This wood will no longer be
|~|"structural wood" after it has served its purpose.
|~|
|~|Stan Scholl, P.E.
|~|Laguna Beach, CA
|~|
|~|On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:04:41 -0900 "Haan, Scott M."
|~|<HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us> writes:
|~|> 97 UBC 2306 requires "structural" wood that is embedded the ground to
|~|> be
|~|> treated.  The UBC reasoning is to prevent the structure from being
|~|> damaged.
|~|> CABO 323 has methods of termite control for below grade "structural"
|~|> wood.
|~|> I would think you could permeate the stuff with treatment or poison
|~|> the soil
|~|> next to building to prevent bugs from finding the wood inviting.
|~|>
|~|> If I was your building official [or designer] and there was a local
|~|> termite
|~|> or carpenter ant problem, there is no way on God's green earth that
|~|> I would
|~|> let a contractor save some money by leaving a little food cache for
|~|> a
|~|> termite colony next to someones house, old folks home or
|~|> kindergarten.  I
|~|> will stop here before I start to get sarcastic.
|~|>
|~|>
|~|>
|~|> Scott M Haan P.E.
|~|> Plan Review Engineer
|~|> Building Safety Division
|~|> Development Services Department
|~|> Municipality of Anchorage
|~|> http://www.muni.org/building <http://www.muni.org/building>
|~|> phone:907-343-8183
|~|> fax:907-249-7399
|~|> mailto:haansm(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us <mailto:haansm(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us>
|~|>
|~|>
|~|
|~|******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
|~|*   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
|~|*
|~|*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
|~|*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
|~|*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
|~|*
|~|*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
|~|*
|~|*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
|~|*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
|~|*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
|~|*   site at: http://www.seaint.org
|~|