Modified footing design

I am a young engineer interested in learning more
about foundation engineering.  I  understand spread
footing design.  My problem is finding the method of
determining the adequacy of a modified footing.
Specifically:

There is an existing 4'X 13.5' caisson supporting a
tower structure.
The problem lies in the need to modify this footing to
make up for the tower's extension and additional load.
The proposed method is to place an 8' square, 2' thick
collar footing around the caisson.  This addition is
held on to the caisson by steel bars drilled into
place.  This addition is 1.5' below grade and 3.5' to
the base.  The addition is reinforced with #11 bars
top and bottom (3 on the outer part of all sides of
the caisson and 6 U-Bars in the middle sections on all
sides).

How does one go about checking the reinforcment and
dimensional adequacy for such a modification?  What
kind of calculations must be done that differ from
that of a spread footing design?

I understand the need for such a design.  But where
can I find the supporting calculation methodology for
such a case?

thanks