RE: FW: Engineering Education & Professi

Thanks for taking your stab at this Roger.

I honestly don't know if there is some kind of survey or poll on this issue
but it would seem to be important if one wants to grip about the general
quality of entry level employees (not that I'm convinced this is my grip).

In general I've come to know the quality of graduates from the various
schools in the
SF Bay area, but feel like a fish out of water when looking at resumes from
any place else. I guess one general approach is to dig up a schools mission
statement or such and try to get a feel for their emphasis but I'm concerned
that our expectations of graduates is becoming fragmented. I can understand
specialization both in practice and in education but if 80% say of a
graduating class from a particular school enters the mainstream design based
workforce and their education is lacking then I believe a correction need be
made. Someone please tell me I'm being a worry wart.

It is understood that design offices need to invest time and resources in
training newly graduated engineers. My concern is has this changed due to
the choices of universities, or is there sufficient feedback from the
profession to highlight a problem if one exists?

Barry H. Welliver