Beams with web openings subject to fatigue

I am looking for a reference (design guide, journal article, etc)
about steel beams with web openings subjected to fatigue loading.

AISC's Steel and Composite Beams with Web Openings  (Design
Guide #2) states that web openings are not recommended for
members subjected to significant high cycle-low stress or
low cycle-high stress fatigue loading in Section 5.7.b.2
(Commentary), but does not elaborate any further.

I am curious about the background of the statement, since someone
will argue the magnitude of "significant" and/or the limitations of
"not recommended" when it appears they might not get what they want.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ralph Benson
Carter-Burgess, Inc.