Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 12:04 PM
Subject: RE: shoring lagging remove or remain?

97 UBC 2306 requires "structural" wood that is embedded the ground to be treated.  The UBC reasoning is to prevent the structure from being damaged.  CABO 323 has methods of termite control for below grade "structural" wood.  I would think you could permeate the stuff with treatment or poison the soil next to building to prevent bugs from finding the wood inviting.

If I was your building official [or designer] and there was a local termite or carpenter ant problem, there is no way on God's green earth that I would let a contractor save some money by leaving a little food cache for a termite colony next to someones house, old folks home or kindergarten.  I will stop here before I start to get sarcastic.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division
Development Services Department