Notch Tough Welding Metal

A while ago, I attended an AISC seminar in the midwest where I believe one
of the speakers talked about modifying the typical flange bevel weld used
for beam to column moment connections. I believe some of the
recommendations came out of the research conducted after the Northridge
earthquake. If I understood him correctly, one of the recommendations was
to use notch tough weld metal (minimum 20 ft-lbs at -20 degrees F) even in
non-earthquake country.

What does this mean to a fabricator? Does he have order special welding
rods to meet this requirement? Are their special welding procedures also?

Jim K.