RE: Salt Storage in old concrete building

From: Ken Peoples

I have been asked to evaluate an old cement plant storage hall which is
currently being used for salt storage.  The walls are buttressed concrete
with the buttresses to the inside of the building.  In the areas that I can
see (most of the buttresses are covered with salt), the concrete is in
fairly poor condition having been battered by crane buckets and attacked by
salt.  The client requesting the evaluation would like to use the building
for some other material storage.  If we uncover the existing buttresses and
find that the concrete "appears" to be in good condition (which may be
unlikely), what non-destructive methods are available to determine if the
salt is causing problems with the steel?  Also, is there any way of treating
the concrete to get any salt out before we cover it back up with a new
stored material?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

You need to evaluate the depth of chloride penetration by taking concrete
samples at increasing depths and measuring the chloride concentrations.
Slices taken from drilled cores are one way to do this - although this may
be difficult if the rebar is concentrated in the buttresses. You can compare
the results with published values - note that there is considerable
variation in the published "allowable" chloride concentrations. The values
for new concrete exposed to chlorides are established on the basis that some
contamination will occur over the life of the structure, so they are very
low.

There is a process called Chloride Extraction that uses electrical currents
to extract chlorides - see:

 http://www.norcure.com/index.htm

Peter James