RE: IBC 2000 Seismic maps

Dennis:

The CD-ROM will provide the spectral accelerations (both for short
periods, S(sub s), and 1-second period, S(sub 1)) that you would usually
obtain from the seismic maps in the IBC code.  These values are modified
depending on the site soil classification and then are used to determine
the Seismic Design Category (with the "assistance" of the Seismic Use
Group).  I am not sure what you consider the seismic "risk zones".  If you
are refering to what have traditionally been called the seismic zones in
the UBC, then they don't really exist in the IBC code.  The only thing
that comes off of the map are the two spectral accelerations mentioned
above...the IBC maps are not divided in to "zones" (i.e. zone 2a or zone
4).  The closest thing in the IBC to the "zones" from the UBC are the
Seismic Design Catergory.  The Seismic Design Catergory is function of the
possible magnitude of a seismic event, the use/importance of the
structure, and the type of soil at the structure's site.  The UBC zone,
however, has strictly been a function of the possible magnitude of a
seismic event.

The end result is that the CD-ROM should get Barry what he needs.  If he
is attempting to "mark" off territory by assigning Seismic Design
Categories to various areas, then he is attempting an impossible task
since the SDC is also a function of the soil type and the use/importance
of the structure.  Thus, you could have a hospital that is a SDC E right
accross the street from a lawyer's office that is a SDC D.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI