RE: FW: Education - Math & Science Appropriations II

I don't think that parents have to "participate hands on" in the way I
believe you mean. I think they have to continually voice their expectations
of their offspring's working hard and doing their best in school, and also
to constantly signal their kids that education is one of the most important
opportunities they have in this life.

This doesn't even mean the parents themselves had to have benefited from
education. For example, I recall reading that Gen. Colin Powell, former
Chairman, U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, and now SecState for the United
States, had a father who was a Jamaican immigrant and a school janitor. But
he constantly encouraged his children including Sec. Powell to get as much
education as possible, and do their best in that pursuit.

Obviously the elder Mr. Powell could not be "hands on" in the sense that you
indicate. But he could be "hand on" in his continual messages to his
children. That is the sort of thing that will do and accomplish what
billions upon endless billions of taxpayers' largesse cannot do.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA
Phone (281) 492-2251