Re: Salt Storage in old concrete building

Ken,

To evaluate the electro-chemical activity of the concrete and rebar you
could conduct two nondestructive tests; ASTM C876, "Half-Cell Potentials of
Uncoated Reinforcing Steel in Concrete", and/or ASTM D3633, "Electrical
Resistivity of Membrane-Pavement Systems".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

                    "Ken Peoples"
                    <kspeoples@lvt       To:     "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    a.net>               cc:
                                         Subject:     Salt Storage in old concrete building
                    12/17/01 12:46
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

I have been asked to evaluate an old cement plant storage hall which is
currently being used for salt storage.  The walls are buttressed concrete
with the buttresses to the inside of the building.  In the areas that I can
see (most of the buttresses are covered with salt), the concrete is in
fairly poor condition having been battered by crane buckets and attacked by
salt.  The client requesting the evaluation would like to use the building
for some other material storage.  If we uncover the existing buttresses and
find that the concrete "appears" to be in good condition (which may be
unlikely), what non-destructive methods are available to determine if the
salt is causing problems with the steel?  Also, is there any way of
treating the concrete to get any salt out before we cover it back up with a
new stored material?
As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
1584 Weaversville Road