RE: IBC 2000 Seismic maps

I hit send before I commented on your thoughts Roger.

I agree, the way we used to do things gave us very generalized magnitudes.
I'm not sure I disagree however with the tendency to fine-tune the shaking
intensities given the very localized damages seen in some recent
earthquakes. (Loma Prieta, Napa Valley). This combined with efforts to
understand local soil profiles for instance has produced some mapping work
which helps one feel a bit better about these new lines drawn in the IBC.

The long and short of it for me is to gear up for this known direction in
seismic design and try to make some sense of it all. I think I've spent as
much time this past year trying to figure out geology as I have in
understanding the new structural provisions.

Barry H. Welliver