RE: IBC 2000 Seismic maps

Exactly my point!

Can anyone *guarantee* that spectral accelerations are going to vary in
accordance with contours spaced a mile apart?  Just because some computer
somewhere can calculate imaginary responses to imaginary point source
earthquakes which have been reduced significantly from the actual spectral
accelerations calculated from the same imaginary point source earthquakes
(read the fine print in the upper left corner of the spectral acceleration
maps) doesn't mean it is correct.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Barry Welliver wrote (concatenated posts):

. > The IBC maps have contour intervals as close as 1 mile or less within the
. > Salt Lake Valley. The need is to have a better reference scale than is
. > presently given in the 1:3,500,000 IBC

. > Barry H. Welliver

. > I hit send before I commented on your thoughts Roger.

. > I agree, the way we used to do things gave us very generalized magnitudes.
. > I'm not sure I disagree however with the tendency to fine-tune the shaking
. > intensities given the very localized damages seen in some recent
. > earthquakes. (Loma Prieta, Napa Valley). This combined with efforts to
. > understand local soil profiles for instance has produced some mapping work
. > which helps one feel a bit better about these new lines drawn in the IBC.

. > The long and short of it for me is to gear up for this known direction in
. > seismic design and try to make some sense of it all. I think I've spent as
. > much time this past year trying to figure out geology as I have in
. > understanding the new structural provisions.