RE: Notch Tough Welding Metal

>A while ago, I attended an AISC seminar
>in the midwest where I believe one
>of the speakers talked about modifying
>the typical flange bevel weld used
>for beam to column moment connections.
>I believe some of the
>recommendations came out of the research
>conducted after the Northridge
>earthquake. If I understood him
>correctly, one of the recommendations was
>to use notch tough weld metal (minimum 20
>ft-lbs at -20 degrees F) even in
>non-earthquake country.
>What does this mean to a fabricator? Does
>he have order special welding
>rods to meet this requirement? Are their
>special welding procedures also?

Filler-metal notch-toughness requirements for wind and low-seismic
applications (when R is taken equal to or less than 3) are contained in the
LRFD Specification for Structural Steel Buildings (these apply -- or should
be applied -- when using ASD, too). See Section J2.6 in particular.
Filler-metal notch-toughness requirements for high-seismic applications
(when R is taken greater than 3) are contained in the AISC Seismic
Provisions/Supplement No. 2.

You can get these documents and others like them as free downloads from the
AISC web site by following the links here:

    http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/steelstuff/aiscspcs.htm

Charlie