Re: Foundation investigation

assuming there are no plans available, my next step would be to talk to
old line contractors to see if they have any records. However even if
plans are found, it doesn't necessarily mean that what was built.
why is the evaluation being done? is it because there has been some kind
of damage/cracks, etc. Or are changes proposed? Or is it being sold? The
reason for the evaluation and the budget will determine to what extent
and precision information can be determined about the foundation.  The
subsurface conditions probably determined one or two types of
foundations. For example, in Chicago, you know what type of foundation
has been used on all tall buildings because of the deep soft clay. Talk
to older engineers who were in practice at the time of the construction,
if possible.
Sometimes a search of the local newspapers will turn up a photo of the
building under construction-thus possibly giving a small view of what was
used.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA