ASD vs. LRFD

I have been doing some cost comparisons between ASD & LRFD design. My
LRFD designs are consistently lighter that ASD (No Big surprise). The
GC/Fabricator are insisting that due to the connection design and safety
factors involved that it is cheaper to go with an ASD design. Is the
something that I am missing. I have just recently attended the AISC
Connection seminar and must of step out of the room when pricing was
discussed.

Besides, most (almost most) fabricators use computerized software to do
their designs, so where is the extra effort. If I was going to really
design all my connections, I would also buy or make a spreadsheet to
automate this. In addition, if my specs call out full depth double angle
or shear tab connections, and lets say I have a W16 w/ 4 bolts. What is
the difference whether it is ASD or LRFD? Four Bolts will give me a
certain capacity either way.

Has anybody heard of special safety factors when doing schools? Say in
New Jersey?

Mitchell J. Sklar, P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer

BALA Consulting Engineers, Inc.