Re: ASD vLRFD

I hope everybody is designing frame members for for 50 ksi steel.  If you
try to order ASTM A36 W-shapes, you will pay a price premium for it.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

****************************

                    Mark Nowmos
                    <mnowmos@compus      To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    erve.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    mnowmos@compuse
                    rve.com              Subject:     Re: ASD vLRFD.
                    12/19/01 10:17
                    PM                                                                                           .
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

This is a good point.  A lot of times serviceability and / or deflection
will be
a primary design concern.  The only time I use LRFD is when strength is an
issue.  As an aside, how many engineers are specifing A992 steel nowadays?
Just
curious, I would like to see if this standard emboldened other engineers to
design based on 50 ksi yield?
Mark Nowmos

HAWNENG(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Having not posted anything to the list server in many months, I could not
> help but "weigh-in" on this discussion (pun intended).  Our office uses
> nothing but "allowable stress design" and has since 1981.  We find that
many
> times, our design is governed by deflection, not stress.   We check
> deflection at two stages, immediately after the mud is poured and then
for
> total deflection.  For "mud load" deflection, we try to limit the
deflection
> to 1/2".  Often times, rather than camber a steel member, we will
increase
> the member size by a few pounds to limit the deflection.  In the
discussion
> to date, I haven't read how deflection and floor vibrations play a role
in
> sizing the steel members.  We also design and detail all our steel
> connections on the structural drawings then review the shop drawings to
help
> ensure the contractor is interpreting the drawings as intended by our
design.

> Not that this is necessarily the best way to design, but ASD gets my
vote.
> Also, when it comes to the foundation design, you have to track two sets
of
> different load factors.  Yes, we do design concrete by ultimate stress
> design.  We are definitely middle-aged engineers, but not real
old-timers,
> yet.
>
> Greg Showerman, S.E.
> Modesto, California