Re: ASD vs. LRFD

There is another area where ASD is more economical than LRFD - slender webs.

Unlike ASD, where the transition from non-compact webs to slender webs is
smooth, the LRFD flexural strength equations, when moving into Appendix G
show sudden loss in capacity. I believe that the new (combined) ASD/LRFD
Spec will correct this discrepancy.
If you deal only with shapes listed in the AISC Manual, this issues is
irrelevant, however, for built-up girders, this is the real one... and this
is what metal building system manufacturers get all the time.

Igor Marinovic