RE: Increase of f'c over time

Never, ever, ever rely on "reasonable assumptions of strength" when
evaluating an existing structure. If you check the model building codes, for
example, you will find that existing structures MUST be evaluated using
empirical measurements. That's why, whenever I'm doing a renovation/retrofit
job, and the contractor/owner tells me "oh, and I have the drawings right
here," I tell him "that's nice, they'll serve as a good reference. But they
will NOT be relied upon as the final word. I will take measurements
including if need be assessments of the actual strength of the in situ
materials.

What you did at the outset was fine, for a first approximation. But you're
going to need material testing to back up your assumptions if you want the
existing structure to sustain an appreciable increase in service loading.

This is where this game gets dicey, because contractors/owners don't want to
hear that; they think we ought to know these things, I suppose by osmosis.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA
Phone (281) 492-2251