Re: Increase of f'c over time

Gentlemen,

	I respectfully disagree with Thomas Hunt's statement "This would
indicate that the compressive strength increased nearly 3 fold over 50
years."  I agree with everything else that Thomas has presented.  His
was an excellent response.

	It has been my experience that 30 plus years ago it was fairly common
for owners of industrial type projects to specify such concrete mix
design parameters as minimum cement content, maximum water/cement ratio,
maximum slump more stringent than normal, no use of fly ash or other
additives to increase flowability or reduce cement content, etc. etc.
Following these specifications always produced concrete that was much
stronger than the minimum 3,000 p.s.i. specified.  If such was the case
at the time of construction of the water intake structure it's fairly
likely that the actual 28 day strength may well have been between 4,500
and 6,000 p.s.i.  This would reduce the apparent increase of f'c over
time to something closer to the generally accepted values.

	It would be very interesting to see some of the original 28 day test
results if they were available; but I should be surprised if they still
existed.  It would also be interesting to know if the original owner's
spec. contained some of the mix design parameters I mentioned in the
previous paragraph; perhaps Thomas will be able to satisfy our (my)
curiosity on that.

				Best regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson