Re: Increase of f'c over time

Daryl,

I guess it is certainly possible and even probable that the original 28 day
strength was higher than the specified design strength however I agree with
Syed that I would doubt that it would be twice as much, but who is to say
otherwise.

I can provide the following from the petrographic analysis we performed:

*  The course aggregate was 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch maximum sized crushed
diorite

*  The water/cement ratio was estimated to average 0.40.

*  There was no air entrainment.

*  There is no evidence of pozzolans.

*  The slump is estimated to be 4 inch or less.

*  The paste proportion averages about 28%.

The petrographic report indicates "considerable strength gain over the
years" but does not provide any more details than this general comment.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

                    Daryl
                    Richardson           To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    <h.d.richardso       cc:
                    n(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>           Subject:     Re: Increase of f'c over time

                    12/22/01 11:18
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

Gentlemen,

           I respectfully disagree with Thomas Hunt's statement "This would
indicate that the compressive strength increased nearly 3 fold over 50
years."  I agree with everything else that Thomas has presented.  His
was an excellent response.

           It has been my experience that 30 plus years ago it was fairly
common
for owners of industrial type projects to specify such concrete mix
design parameters as minimum cement content, maximum water/cement ratio,
maximum slump more stringent than normal, no use of fly ash or other
additives to increase flowability or reduce cement content, etc. etc.
Following these specifications always produced concrete that was much
stronger than the minimum 3,000 p.s.i. specified.  If such was the case
at the time of construction of the water intake structure it's fairly
likely that the actual 28 day strength may well have been between 4,500
and 6,000 p.s.i.  This would reduce the apparent increase of f'c over
time to something closer to the generally accepted values.

           It would be very interesting to see some of the original 28 day
test
results if they were available; but I should be surprised if they still
existed.  It would also be interesting to know if the original owner's
spec. contained some of the mix design parameters I mentioned in the
previous paragraph; perhaps Thomas will be able to satisfy our (my)
curiosity on that.

                                          Best regards,

                                          H. Daryl Richardson

syed faiz ahmad wrote:

> Agreeg & concurred.
>
> SYED FAIZ AHMAD
>
> >From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com
> >To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> >Subject: RE: Increase of f'c over time
> >Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:31:26 -0800
> >

> >George,
> >
> >We just finished rehabilitating a 50 year old seawater intake structure
and
> >I can give you our actual results for comparison.  The original drawings
> >showed a mix of 2500 psi and 3000 psi specified design strengths.  Out
of
> >the 90 four-inch diameter core samples we took, we compression tested
53.
> >Out of the 53 compression tests the lowest strength was 6220 psi and the
> >highest 12,840 psi with an average strength of 8635 psi.  This would
> >indicate that the compressive strength increased nearly 3 fold over 50
> >years.  The split tensile strengths were very consistent and averaged
828
> >psi.
> >
> >I agree with the others that the only way to be sure is to take some
core
> >samples.  You really do not know if the original concrete started out
with
> >the desired strength.  Someone could have added a lot of water at the
site,
> >it may not have been consolidated correctly, and etc.  Coring and
testing
> >is not a big deal and is not very expensive considering the liabilities
you
> >may get into.
> >
> >Thomas Hunt, S.E.
> >Duke/Fluor Daniel
> >

> >                     Lucas Jolly
> >                     <Lucas(--nospam--at)lbdg.co       To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'"
> ><seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> >                     m>                   cc:
> >                                          Subject:     RE: Increase of
f'c
> >over time
> >                     12/20/01 04:08
> >                     PM
> >                     Please respond
> >                     to seaint
> >

> >Per MacGregor's book, "Reinforced Concrete - Mechanics & Design":
> >f'c(t) = f'c(28)*[t/(4+0.85*t)]
> >t is in days
> >According to the text, this formula is for Type I cement (normally used
> >prior to 1975).  For Type III cement, the coefficients 4 and 0.85 become
> >2.3
> >and 0.92, respectively.
> >This also assumes 70 degree temperatures.
> >The rest of this chapter address other factors, such as time of loading,
> >varying moisture conditions, etc.
> >
> >No matter how you slice it,  this formula suggests you aren't getting
much
> >over a 20% increase.
> >
> >Lucas Jolly

I've