Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 12:25 AM
Subject: Min. Reinforcement in Pedestals

I have a question regarding the Min. reinforcement which we shall use for the large pedestals. The question is the for the pedestals under a large equipments (e.g. 6~7m in Dia. ) we need to construct a pedestal to reach to the required elevation ( e.g. from -1.000m below ground to 0.300 above ground with 6m dia. pedestal ). It seems that application of about 1% or even 0.5% reinforcement is very large and unnecessary and in these cases the pedestal action is more close to a foundation ( for which the main reinforcements shall be top and bot. bars instead of vertical bars ) instead of column action. If anyone have any useful suggestion in this regard, please let me know.

Best Regards,
A. Karimzadegan
PIDEC Co.
Shiraz