RE: Min. Reinforcement in Pedestals

Something 6m (~20 ft) in diameter and 1.3m (~4 ft) thick with only .3m (~1
ft) protruding above ground looks more like a thick slab to me rather than a
column or a pedestal.  Therefore, I would reinforce it as a slab, not as a
column or pedestal.  Without running any numbers, it would seem that
temperature and shrinkage would be a concern as well as any stresses produced
by vibrating machinery.  Circumferential reinforcing would be prudent if the
machinery is producing any significant vibration.  It is difficult for me to
conceive compression as a controlling factor and with a thickness to diameter
ratio of 1.3:30, bending certainly shouldn't be a factor.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Daryl Richardson wrote:

. > Karimzadegan,

. >         Unless you can find some code requirement to the contrary or some
. > (20 mm diameter) bars at 12" (300 mm) each way on all exposed surfaces.

and Scott Haan wrote:

. > ACI 318-99 Section 10.9.1 says the minimum compression member
. > reinforcement is required to be between .01*Ag and .08*Ag. ACI 318-99
. > Section 10.8.4 says you cannot reduce the minimum compression member
. > reinforcement to .005*Ag in areas of high seismic risk.