Elevator Shaft Design

I have a project where the client would like to install an elevator shaft in
the middle of the floor plan of an existing historic building.  The building
is wood framed construction built in 1904, with diagonal floor sheathing,
and true dimensional lumber of course.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Do I need to perform a lateral load analysis of the building, and
distribute load to the 'new' shaft walls?  If so, do I have to use the
current code to develop the lateral loads or is there another method someone
can present?

2.  The owner claims to have no knowledge as to whether the building is
already compliant or is exempt.  Does anyone have any leads as to where I
can obtain any direction on this subject?  When does a building have to be
brought into compliance, and when is it exempt?

I have recently relocated to an area where there will be a lot of work
related to the modification of existing buildings, and would appreciate
suggestions or comments from experienced engineers who have previously
worked in this field.

Thank you very much,

Bill S. Marczewski
billm(--nospam--at)pndast.com