LONGITUDINAL SPLIT IN HOLLOW CORE.

Learned Friends,

Attention is invited from any body experienced in design, production or simply use of Hollow Core Slabs to the following problem which Iam experiencing in one of my projects for quite sometime.

PROBLEM:

The Roof Hollow Core Slab splits longitudinally long after installation & completion of roofing work (water proofing)& ceiling paint/finishes upon it. These cracks are:

    - not continues, breaks after about 30-40 cm
      (12 to 16-in.).

    -  the crack widths are varying, from 0.1 to
       0.5 mm, sometimes a little more.

    -  these cracks are longitudinal & not trans-
       verse.

More information can be passed on upon request, but right now this is the broad description of the problem perse.

Iam aware of the PCI publication about production & shipment cracks; which deals with these kinds of longitudinal split of the Hollow Core; but my problem is post-installation & hence the causes outlined in this particular publication donot as such apply to this problem.

I would appreciate if any one of our learned colleagues, on this LIST, can throw light on the following:

     - the broad reasons for these cracks.

     -  are these any sign of structural distress
       of some kind?

     -  are they cause of concern?

     - they appear after the ceilings are painted
       & finished; what to do about it?; since it
       is a cause of concern from architectural
       aesthetics point of view, as well.

Best regards & thanx in advance.

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER