Re: Min. Reinforcement in Pedestals

    We have learnt a lot on this topic by these posts.  Shouldn't there be a code
provision for us ordinary mortals to distinguish between columns and padestals?  For
myself, when I find  Pu  <  0.1(Area)fc', I do not regard it as a compression member
and suspend the code provisions (if I can get away with it).  #6@12 on all faces is
surely adequate.
Otherwise, the checker sometime wants you to not only use 0.5% reinforcement (I am
in zone 2) but also rings with 135 bends at alternate bars and in some
pads(columns?) such as the one under discussion,it is surely an overkill.

S A Masroor
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan.