akin to Old High German wald forest, Old Norse vollr field
Date: before 12th century
1 : a usually upland area of open country
2 capitalized : a hilly or rolling region -- used in names of various
English geographical areas <Yorkshire Wolds>
Bottom of Form

Personally, I live on the Katy Prairie outside of Houston. Not a hill in
sight. But I hope that the "wolds" of others will be as you suggest this
year.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA