Crane Rails

The USS Structural Steel Shapes manual shows a USS Special Crane Rail No.
10551 with an area of 10.30 in^2, Nominal weight/yd of 105 lbs.  Using USS's
conversion factors, the 105#/yd is equivalent to 52.09 kg/m, and the area is
equivalent to 6645.16 mm^2.

If you think this works, the N.A. is 2.410 in. above the base; I is 34.41
in^4, S(head) is 12.39 in^3, and S(base) is 14.28 in^3.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Knight wrote:

. > I have received an enquiry from a customer in Thailand and I am trying to
. > get details of a rail section he has told me he is using. He says it is a
. > PS 50 kg/metre and the PS is for Pennsylvania Railroad. Any idea where I
. > can find details of the rail dimensions. I have looked in my copy of LRFD
. > vol 1 but those shown in table 1-8 on page 1-141 don't seem to comply.
. > Any help will be appreciated.

. > Michael Knight
. > Technical Support Manager
. > Lindapter International Bradford UK