AISC Eccentric Bolted Connection Tables

I need some help interpreting what I read about eccentric connections with
bolts in shear.  On page 4-52 of the 9th edition of the AISC Manual, there is
a discussion of the instantaneous center method based on shear plates having
an Fy of 36, having a thickness of no more than half the bolt diameter plus
1/16" and that a bolt a bolt can sustain its ultimate load at a deformation
of 0.34" (page 4-58).  According to Salmon and Johnson, the 0.34" includes no
slip.

Can a ¾" bolt really sustain its maximum capacity if you shear it 0.34"?  Or
is most of the deformation assumed to occur in the plates.  Am I reading this
right?

I am designing some connections for drag members which need to take a lot of
axial load and I need to use some thick plates and sustain some end rotation.
 I am bumping up against the design assumptions of the tables in the manual.

Thanks in advance
Mark Johnson