Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 3:46 PM
Subject: Ethic's Question

I would like to hear some feed back from some fellow engineers
concerning a possible ethical problem that I have encountered with my
present employer.  My engineering design of some wood shearwalls was
changed on the field by my employer, who is an Architect.  I have
informed him that I do not agree with the changes that he has made, and
that they do not follow the current UBC code.  While I did perform the
structural design, he stamped the drawings. (I am not registered to
practice engineering in the state in which the building is being
constructed)

My employer is now requesting me to perform another inspection on the
shearwalls to verify what he changed is performed to his instructions.
My question is, do I have an ethical responsibility to report what I see
as not being constructed to code, or should I perform my duties as a
company representative and just verify that the changes are constructed
to his requirements?

I have informed my employer of my dilemma, but was given only one
option, do my job as a representative of the firm.

Your inputs and thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated.

David Gorton, PE

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org