RE: Min concrete cover of reinforcement for swimming pool

ACI 318 does not apply to slabs-on-grade unless they are true
structural slabs (i.e. cases where the soil is really supporting the loads
not the concrete).  Having said that, you can certainly still use the
provisions with in ACI 318 as guidelines as long as you then interject
your engineering judgement.  The point is that ACI 318 is not "the letter
of the law" for slabs on grade.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI