Re: RE: Min concrete cover of reinforcement for swimming pool

When asked "What is the minimum concrete cover of reinforcing
steel?" my response from the Code has been for the side exposed to
earth 3-inches and for the side exposed to atmospheric air 2-inches.
Yet, I have had occasion to observe swimming pool constructions. The
walls were 4-inches thick maximum and had smooth 1/4-inch steel rods
were installed at between 12" and 18" on center and then cement PC
gunited. When brought to attention of Code Authority, inspectors, I was
informed that I had not sealed the plans. The plans and construction
are preformed under the swimming pool contractors State license.
   My engineered wall designs to hold water have never provided less
than 6-inch thick walls with the reinforcing steel in recent years not
less than No.6 bars in both directions.

Pax e Gratia
Robert P. "Bob" Ross, P.E.
Civil-Structural Engineer