RE: A 36 steel vs A992

Bob,

It is my understanding that it is difficult to get A36 (that truly has Fy=36
ksi) for WIDE FLANGE shapes. You will also pay a premium if you absolutely
have to have this grade for Wide Flanges. The industry standard for Wide
Flanges ( and WT's consequently) is A992 Grade 50.

You should have no trouble getting it for angles and channels. I am not sure
if angles and channels are typically sold as dual spec that would meet the
requirements of A36 or A572.

I'm sure Charlie Carter could elaborate or point you to the sources on the
AISC website for further info.

-gerard
SJ, CA