Fatigue and Bowling Pins

I recently heard that bowling pins are routinely taken out of service for a
few weeks to extend their service life.  I confirmed this by calling a few
local alleys.  For a pin left in continuous service, service life is X
weeks.  For a pin that is routinely removed from service, service life is
C*X weeks.  Where C is greater than one and the service life ignores the
"rest" periods.

Is this a old wives tale created by a bowling pin salesman or is there a
reasonable explanation for this?

James