Re: wood beam-to-beam & beam-to-column mortise-tenon connections

I do not know how "good" this reference document may be.

The Joint Report

Here's your chance to buy what is affectionately referred to as The
Joint Report, the newest report by Dick Schmidt and Christopher E.
Daniels of the University of Wyoming Department of Civil and
Architectural Engineering. (This report is available as a free download
in PDF format in the Members Only section.)

Abstract
The objective of this research is to determine the strength and
stiffness characteristics of timber-frame connections in tension.
Timber-frame connections use wood pegs to secure the tenon within the
mortise. The design of these connections is currently beyond the scope
of building codes, including the National Design Specification for Wood
Construction (NDS). Full-size joints were tested to determine failure
modes and to establish minimum edge and end distances that ensure peg
failure. These end and edge distances were used to verify a design
procedure for satisfying NDS spacing requirements. Peg failure was
identified as the preferred failure mode because of the ductility
exhibited prior to ultimate failure. Mechanical properties, which
included peg bending strength, shear strength, and dowel bearing
strength were also established. An efficient method for establishing
dowel bearing capacities for combinations of base material
(mortise/tenon) and pegs utilizing springs in series was also developed.

Released in April 1999, this highly technical report is 98 pages long.
Major sponsor of the work is the USDA National Research
Initiative/Competitive Grants Program and the co-sponsor is the Timber
Frame Business Council.

1999 Joint Report 99JR$15.00

Pax e Gratia
Robert P. "Bob" Ross, P.E.