Re: Adding brick shelf support to grade beam

richard lewis wrote:

> I have an existing building where I need to hide the concrete grade beam
> due to changes in exterior grading.  The owner wants to add a short brick
> wall, about 3 feet high in front of it.  The building has a drilled pier
> and grade beam foundation.  I would like suggestions as to how to
> construct the new brick shelf support integral with the existing grade
> beam.

I have used a galvanized angle fastened to the grade beam with Hilti HVA
fasteners when the grade change does not go below the bottom of the beam. For
additional moisture protection, trowel-on mastic is applied to the angle.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
a practical structural engineer