Re: Adding brick shelf support to grade beam

Richard,

	I can think of four solutions to this problem

1.)	Using Hilti or expansion anchors bolt an angle (say 4"x4") to the
existing grade beam and build the brick up on this.  Note that this adds

2.)	Build a new grade beam as close as possible to the existing wall to
support the new brick wall.  This does not add loading to the existing
foundation system but presents problems sealing the space between walls
at the ends of the walls.

3.)	Use thin (say 0.5 inch) wafers of brick or other stonework, for that
matter) and actually cement them onto the existing grade beam in a
conventional brick pattern.

4.)	Use some alternative system such as parging (stuccoing) the wall.
Note: I'm suggesting this because some brick may absorb water and stain
badly if placed in contact with the ground.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson