Re: Adding brick shelf support to grade beam

I want to thank all those who responded to the email.  Let me clarify the
situation since some good questions were raised.

First, the building is constructed on moderately expansive clay.  The
foundation is a drilled pier and grade beam system.  The grade beams have
void boxes below.

The grading outside the building will change to a lower elevation.  I
will expose about 3 feet of concrete wall.  We will only be adding enough
brick to cover this so it will not be a full height wall.

I have a question about using a steel angle attached to the grade beam.
The angle will have to be buried underground.  Will using a galvanized
angle with mastic be sufficient for corrosion protection?  Should it be
encased in concrete somehow?  How about doweling in rebar and pouring a
grade beam?  Is this just a case of shear friction with the rebar dowels,
or are there other  forces to consider?

Thanks for your continued insight!

Rich