Re: Operating System Reccomendation Sought

I would advise XP on any new computer with minimum 256MB RAM.

For stability I would go for XP on all computers. This would get rid of your multi-tasking problems, hang-ups, lock-ups  etc because it is a true multi-tasking OS and protects itself against the types of problems you are having, unlike 98.
The downside of this is that upgrading to XP on an existing computer (especially one older than 12-18 months) is probably going to cost lots in time getting everything working again. You will probably have to find new drivers for most peripherals, graphics cards, just about everything unless it is a very new computer.

NT4 or 2000 would also do the job but why go for the old version when a new version has been released in XP.

We have 1 XP, 3 Windows 2000 machines and 1 98. We have the 98 for testing because we have to have one to test our software on. It is not used for general programming, because of all the reasons you gave, until the final testing phase because it wastes so much time rebooting all the time, which does not happen on the 2000 computers. We have to test the software on 98 to find all the 98 specific problems like memory leaks that crash a 98 computer but which NT/2000/XP has no problems with.