Ductile Concrete Shear Walls

Colleagues,

Is anyone aware of design methodology, backed by persuasive research results, for unusually ductile reinforced concrete shear walls such as would justify building above the 160 foot limit for a non-dual system in Zones 3 and 4, and/or liberalization in R beyond the 1997 UBC level (4.5 for Bearing Wall System/Shear Walls/Concrete)?

I speculate that real improvements in ductility could come from use composite steel/concrete elements, and use of fiber-reinforced concrete.  Is anyone working actively in this area?  Who defines the state of the art in actual practice?

Tom

Thomas B. Higgins, P.E., S.E.

Group Mackenzie
0690 S.W. Bancroft Street
Portland, OR 97201
Phone (503) 224-9560
Fax (503) 228-1285
<http://www.groupmackenzie.com>
This e-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, access is prohibited.  As e-mail can be altered, its integrity is not guaranteed.